Monday, March 30, 2009

A Short Break


While we await Tigers opening day, the Final Four, and the Pistons and Red Wings playoffs we have kind of a couple days off from sports. I was recently searching the web when I ran across this picture of Old Tiger Stadium. At first I thought what a beautiful picture it was. Then the more i looked at it the more I realized the picture is really sad. The stadium is now left with just a corner of it standing. That's when it hit me that Tiger Stadium is Detroit.
If you look at it there are many similarities between the two. Both the stadium and the city have been falling apart for years. They both are just a small part of what they used to be. But the biggest thing they share is the need of money to stay alive. If the auto industry(more specifically GM and Chrysler) doesn't get another loan its probably not going to be long before there gone. And if the Stadium doesn't get the 15.5 million it needs to be preserved then its going to be gone soon too. I guess all good things must come to an end at some point, but neither one of these needs to be now. I really wish people not from Michigan could see the way the recession has effected us. Over 11% unemployment rate right now and climbing. There is no work here without the auto industry, it literally drives the city and state.
I guess I get frustrated when these politicians go on TV and say screw the auto industry because it doesn't affect their state. The Pledge of Allegiance says "one nation". Doesn't that mean anything anymore? We as Americans need to help each other out no matter what industry it is. No one should have to lose their job because the company they work for couldn't get some help. Everyone needs help at one point or another. We seem to give everyone else money to stay alive. So why not the auto industry? I'm really not sure why.
All we can do now is hope for the best and prepare for the worst, because I hate saying it but I believe the worst is yet to come.

Posted by Beautiful Dreamer

2 comments:

Bradpetehoops said...

Wow croud!

K-Philly said...

Project start lableing your post please. Thanks