Friday, June 26, 2009

Time For Change


"Never again will I allow us to be in a position where we're dealing with issues, where we're dealing with drama." That is a statement made by Pistons GM Joe Dumars to the media after the pick Gonzaga's Austin Daye.

I was a little skeptical of the pick of Daye at 15 for the Pistons when I felt like they were lacking a true point guard and Ty Lawson and Jrue Holiday were still available. I guess I am still skeptical of the pick, but in Joe D we have to trust. The only problem I really have with Daye is he is very similar to Tayshawn Prince. Does this mean Prince may be going away soon? I hope not, of anyone on the current Piston's roster he caused the least amount of what Joe hates. Drama.

It was nice to hear Joe come out and say what he did. Last year's Pistons team was impossible to watch at times, and it was easy to tell they had no chemistry left. It was a good run for the past 6 years,but it is time for a change.

The Pistons used the 35th pick to get DaJuan Summers from Georgetown. I saw Summers play a couple of times this year and he is a very athletic kid with a lot of upside. With the 39th pick Detroit went with Jonas Jerebko from Italy. Don't know about the guy, but i don't like Joe's past of drafting foreign players. Detroit took Chase Buddinger with the 44th pick then traded him to Houston for a 2nd round pick next year.

I find it really hard to grade a team's draft class before any of the players have played an NBA game. It usually takes about 2-3 years before we really know for sure who the studs and busts were from the draft. If I had to give it a grade right now I would say a B. I give them a B because they did get younger upfront and that's what they wanted to do. And anytime a GM is able to do what he wants, then it is a good draft for now.

Here's a little highlight video of Austin Daye.

No comments: