Wednesday, April 15, 2009

NFL DRAFT TIME

Photobucket

The NFL Draft is now just 10 days away. Here in Detroit there is a lot of debate over who should be the number 1 pick. There are people who want the Lions to take Matt Stafford to try and have the Matt Ryan success of last year. What a lot of people don't understand is the Falcons picked up a lot of help for him in the last off season, and not only that but if you look at the games the Falcons lost last year they were against good defense's and Ryan couldn't handle a better then average defense. Mark my words when I say, "Matt Ryan's rookie year was a fluke." So Lions please don't draft Stafford, I just don't see a winner in him.

There are only 2 other choices for Detroit, and both of them I have no problem with. First is offensive tackle Jason Smith from Baylor. He is a real solid lineman and I would love to see him wear the Detroit Honolulu blue. Now if I was making the pick I would draft Linebacker Aaron Curry out of Wake Forest. Some people say we need a middle linebacker now and Curry plays outside so it wouldn't work. I say our defense was ranked 32nd last year and if Curry is the best defensive player available this year then go get him.

Photobucket

If Detroit decides to go the Stafford route then there will be some good available defensive players at the 20th pick also. But wouldn't it be nice to maybe take Curry at 1 and then Rey Maualuga at 20. If they did that then Detroit would be on their was to having a top tier defense.

Anyway you look at for Detroit this year is going to be tough. The schedule came out this week and win number 1 this year may not come til about week 8. Hopefully the Lions see that quarterback is not what we need now and we need to build from the inside out first. But it is the Lions so I can almost picture it now...... With the number 1 pick in the 2009 Nfl draft, the Detroit Lions select...Michael Crabtree, wide receiver Texas Tech. I'm just kidding, but if it happened I wouldn't be shocked.

5 comments:

K-Philly said...

I'm not really that hyped about Curry anymore, just like Stafford he hasn't won big games. I think he won't end up being as good as other LBs like Maualuga.

I think I would chose between Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Brian Orakpo.

There more I see of Orakpo the more I think he could be the best player in this draft.

I really think the Lions will take Stafford, I hope they don't. But when they do take him I will be hopeful that he will bring the intangibles he has with him. He is also just a junior and 21 years old, so there is plenty of upside to him.

If the Lions take him and end up getting Tayolr Maize next year I would be pumped.

Also I disagree with you on Matt Ryan. I've watched highlights of him from last year and he had many throws across his body which are the hardest out of all passes and he was hitting the guys right on the button. He is the real deal and I think Atlanta will have an even better shot at the playoffs with his experience from last year.

Anonymous said...

The worst part is that none of the names menioned anywhere are worth the 65+ million it will cost the lions to take them. They are better suited to take Curry and not have to pay the full dollar amount for Stafford. ALthough an offensive lineman would be nice, none in the draft are what Jake Long was to be worthy of the #1 pick. Curry is the #1 defensive player in the draft on the majority of the draft boards and really the only choice the Lions should have. The problem is the Lions are owned by old thinkers. Who we draft is pretty obvious at this point. The signings recently of a wr and fb only further show what side of the ball the Old Man is looking at. I am sorry Detroit but look for more humiliating blow outs again this season.

K-Philly said...

Do you forget we just went through an 0-16 season? Don't tell us what to get ready for when the majority of us alreadyh know what is coming.

Just like the ESPN poll where Michigan was the only state that wanted the Lions to not take Stafford. I really think that tells a lot about the fan base and that they know more than many others because they have seen first hand how NOT to build an NFL team for decades.

So thanks for the heads up.

Trick said...

settle

Anonymous said...

Don't get mad at me. I don't make the picks.